Packed with hearty plant based protein, vegetables and spices, this quick and easy black bean soup is perfect for a quick and healthy meal.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 197 kcal
1 medium onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 red bell pepper (diced)
4 cups cooked black beans (or about 3 cans, rinsed and drained)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
3-4 cups vegetable broth
1. In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic and red bell pepper in 1/4 cup water until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add water as necessary to prevent sticking.
2. Add the cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and salt and sauté another minute or two until the spices are fragrant.
3. Add black beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth. (Start with 3 cups of broth, you can add more later if you like a thinner soup). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15-20 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, puree as much as the soup as you like. Alternately, you can carefully transfer 1/2 of the soup to a blender, purée, and add back to the pot. Add the other cup of broth if you like a thinner soup.
5. Serve hot with the toppings of your choice.